Monday, March 15, 2010

Sherlock Holmes


I definitively enjoy Robert Downey Jr. performances and in this movie I like it for a long while, but then it became too much Downey Jr. and much less a character especially when you think that the character is none other than Sherlock Holmes. I knew before watching that this Sherlock film was going to be different and gee, it was. Seeing Jude Law as Dr. Watson was fun for a while, but then the character became sooo secondary and boring that made me think that the 'real and immortal' Dr. Watson was more interesting.

I blame the director. No, I'm not a fan of Guy Ritchie films and even if this film had some interesting special and visual effects most looked like that: effects and were quite distracting from whatever was going on. Fights were too long for me, perhaps I'm not the target but if is a "hero" film you know who's going to win the fight before hand, so unless there is interesting choreography it becomes very boring.

The effect that I did enjoyed best is when they show Holmes future logical deductions, that was quite interesting and when he does what he thinks in fast camera, the fighting makes a lot more sense. But in general I was disappointed with this film that I wanted to enjoy but thanks to the filmmaker style didn't do much and got to the point where I was about to stop all the nonsense, but Downey Jr. was what kept me until the end.

Cannot recommend the film unless you're Downey's fan (like me) and if you're a Holmes fan I suggest to prepare to an action-packed (James Bond style) very different Sherlock. I imagine that there will be a sequel and I strongly suggest to producers to carefully choose a new director. Somehow I imagine the sequel directed and produced similarly to one Batman installment, the one directed by Tim Burton; let's hope it happens and the film could be not only different but outstanding. The casting should be the same as is an excellent cast that got lost without proper direction.

Sigh.

Watch trailer @ Movie-On Companion

No comments yet