Friday, January 16, 2009

Academy Awards Foreign Language Film Shortlist -Update


A few moments ago the Academy announced the nine (9) films that advance in the Oscar race as Foreign Language Film and here they are.

Austria, “Revanche,” Gotz Spielmann, director;
Canada, Ce qu'il faut pour vivre (The Necessities of Life), Benoit Pilon, director; (Trailer)
France, “The Class,” Laurent Cantet, director;
Germany, “The Baader Meinhof Complex,” Uli Edel, director;
Israel, “Waltz with Bashir,” Ari Folman, director;
Japan, “Departures,” Yojiro Takita, director;
Mexico, “Tear This Heart Out,” Roberto Sneider, director;
Sweden, “Everlasting Moments,” Jan Troell, director;
Turkey, “3 Monkeys,” Nuri Bilge Ceylan, director.

Interesting shortlist and has one movie I decided to skip, but probably now I’ll reconsider Arrancame La Vida, hmm… but the movie seems so not my kind of tea! I’ll be watching Revanche soon, looking forward to watch Everlasting Moments, Departures and I'm "dying" to watch the infamous 2008 Cannes winner ASAP.

One thing clearly is very interesting, have you noticed the absence of Gomorra???? It does not surprise me as I found the movie too violent; but I imagine that many will be surprised by its absence. NEW: He, he... here is one passionate article about Gomorra not being in the shortlist.

To learn about what follows next in the voting process and read the complete press release go here.

No comments yet