Sunday, May 23, 2010

Day 12 Cannes News


After 12 days we have reached the end. Today a ‘flat’ festival closes after Thierry Fremaux remarkable remark that I didn’t want to pay much attention. Since the press conference the world knew that this was going to be a “difficult” festival. Yes Fremaux warned us, but I was hoping he was just being ‘political’; unfortunately he was being honest. Definitively not the best year for this festival and much less if we recall last year outstanding films that made it up to USA most prestigious award. I believe that this year’s winners will not make it that far. Still, I really hope I’m totally wrong. It’s still very hard to accept that there were no outstanding films in the fest and still want to believe than when watching some of them I will dismiss all this nonsense and will praise the festival.

Today @ Cannes

Official Competition: Today there is a reprise screening of all in-competition films and after the award ceremony the screening of the closing film, The Tree by Julie Bertuccelli.

Around 8pm local time is the closing ceremony that I’m sure will not be able to watch live (still Canal+ has the clock running, but this time I wont fall for it-besides I know that’s wrong time), but I’ll try to follow live the results.

Serious Notes

The festival highlight for me was not a particular film but learning and reading about a director in prison. No, I’m not talking about Polanski, I’m talking about the invited jury member that couldn’t make it and at the opening ceremony we saw an empty chair. The film director that currently is in a hunger strike and if you don’t know what I’m talking about, then perhaps you should remain in ignorance as I’m not going to tell you. That was and still is the festival highlight for me.

Buzz about winners

From France press reports
Local press predictions, Another Year is the winner, followed not so close by Biutiful.
International press predictions: Another Year winning, followed by Des Hommes et des Dieus.

Best Actor: Javier Bardem, but also strong Lambert Wilson in two films (La Princesse de Montpensier and Des homes et des dieux) and Mathieu Amalric. I really hope Bardem wins and so do many French and international critics.

Best Actress: Major contender is Yoon Jung-hee in Poetry, followed by Lesley Manville in Another Year; some claim that Juliette Binoche’s role is not strong even when performed excellent, and some are talking about an ensemble award for all women in Tournee –mainly because they were asked to return to Cannes today (so it’s possible).

French news from Canada
Palme: Des Hommes et des Dieux; Grand Prix: Another Year; Best Actor: Javier Bardem; Best Actress: tie Juliette Binoche and Yun Junghee; Director Im Sang-soo; Jury Award: Route Irish.

From English written news
Rumor from inside the jury says that no single film has impressed the judges, meaning that there could be spreading of wealth (I find this the most probable situation). Not surprised if top award goes to Poetry. Best film is not in competition, Carlos.

“Most “cinephiles” would like Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s winning something major”. (Really?)

“Most experts say is one of the most wide-open races for the Cannes to prize in years” (True.) and contenders are: Poetry, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall Past Lives, Another Year and Biutiful.

So, what do I think? I really haven’t got a clue!!! And it’s an eclectic jury. But if I was judging videos/clips/trailers my Palm should go to Uncle Boome new story and/or My Joy; best actor: Javier and Best Actress: Juliette (but I’m totally biased! –lol). Can’t guess any of the other major awards from clips, so I won’t go there.

Not so Serious Notes

Never in my whole life read so much gossip about Cannes jury members. The most outrageous is about Tim Burton not being able to head the jury and the jury from India taking over! Gee, imagine if it’s real… I can’t.

Well, this is it for today and for the last festival post about news, videos, photos and gossip about Cannes.

Sincerely hope that what Thierry Freamaux is telling lately is true: 2011 lineup is going to be really strong!

Latest News (or gossip): These people have been called back to Cannes for tonight's closing ceremony: Javier Bardem, Juliette Binoche, Lee Chang-dong, Mathieu Amalric, Mahamat Saleh Haroun, and the 'team' of Des Hommes et des Dieux... hmm. Haven't left Cannes, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, the 'team' of Hors la loi, Nikita Mikhalkov, Kornel Mundruzco. The rest are NOT in Cannes... and if they win something simply will not accept in person (which hardly happens in a festival, much less in Cannes).

Seems the press boycott is over (lol!) as The Associated Press is releasing dispatches... Reuters, not yet (but saw one or two during the fest)

No comments yet