Friday, August 21, 2009

New in Town


A too predictable story in a romantic comedy that definitively didn’t seem too funny for me, but I did laugh at some darkish jokes that according to what I read, general audiences not necessarily will get unless you live in one of those frigid states of America. If not for the few darkish jokes this film would have upset me a lot as I didn’t liked the way they portrait a career oriented woman.

Tells about a Miami businesswoman (Renee Zellweger) that’s transferred to a tiny Minnesota town to oversee the restructuring of a blue collar food manufacturing plant and since her arrival she behaves really silly and “stupidly” (like her traveling clothes!) which make me remember about the cliché that attractive blondes have to be dumb. Anyway whatever it’s established in the first third of the movie changes in the second third to pave the way to the “happy” last third where she saves the town.

I do not enjoy Harry Connkick Jr. in the screen as he performs too stiff and always seems he's forcing his acting and here is not an exception playing Zellweger’s love interest. I’m saying this when I really love him as a singer as he absolutely is my kind of jazzy male singer. Renee Zellweger looks really thin and quite elegant when wearing the high-end couture but I believe that comedy is not her forte. Secondary characters have the funniest darkish lines that made me laugh and allowed me to watch the film until the end.

If you like romantic comedies maybe you will enjoy the very old fashion comedy style of the film, but I strongly suggest you lower your expectations.

Enjoy.

Watch trailer @ Movie On Companion

No comments yet