Sunday, August 31, 2008

Death Defying Acts


Finally decided to watch this Aussie Gillian Armstrong movie just for entertainment purposes and as I had very little expectations, I have to say that the movie is entertaining at least more that what I imagined.

Tells a fictional recount of Harry Houdini (Guy Pearce) last visit to Edinburgh, Scotland and how he meets Mary (Catherine Zeta-Jones), a con psychic, and her daughter Benji (Saoirse Ronan), mainly because he was offering US$10,000 to any psychic that could tell him what his mother last words were.

If you are like many that left comments in the net and some critics, and expect the movie to be about Harry Houdini magic and/or disappearance tricks, or a true to his life recount, you’ll be totally disappointed, as this movie is primarily a romance between Harry and Mary and perhaps that’s why I did enjoy it as nice entertainment.

I’m not particularly fond of Zeta-Jones performances, but here she’s acceptable and really suits her to do British movies, at least more than American movies. Also I am not fond of kids’ actors, but since Atonement I have been marveled by Saoirse Ronan performances and in this movie she truly shines and I believe that she steals the movie.

The movie has very acceptable tech specs that at moments enhance whatever is happening in the screen and in general, do not distract from following the story.

So if you’re in the mood for a well crafted and entertaining British movie I suggest you give it a try and perhaps you can enjoy it as much as I did.

Enjoy!

No comments yet