Monday, July 16, 2007

Itty Bitty Titty Committee


This is a movie I have been avoiding because of the title and the poster I saw; so even if I could have seen it months ago I chose not to, until today. Boy, was I totally wrong!!

This Jamie Babbit movie is just visually fantastic! The music is loud and very good. Everyone, well, almost everyone is here! Carley Pope, Clea DuVall, Melanie Lynskey, Guinevere Turner, Jenny Shimizu, Daniela Sea, and new to genre and incredibly good looking Nicole Vicius. This is the female Ocean’s Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen someone that reads this blog was wishing for!!!

Then I have to say that from the moment Nicole Vicius appears in her first scene I could not take my eyes of her character. Very nice.

The story is socially relevant, fun to watch, sexy and even includes romance. Is about a young woman’s journey and discovery of herself as a human being, as a person with a purpose and even if in her learning process she does many mistakes, at the end she knows/finds who she will become.

Characters are so quirky, crazy, parody like, making/poking fun at almost everything, that even if the acting is not outstanding the total ensemble cast delivers quite credibly.

As someone said in a review this story could have been filmed with straight characters and would have been the same, as the fact that all the characters are lesbians is not relevant to the story. Totally agree, the story is about women and not their sexual orientation, but I also say that I am glad that the writers chose to portrait lesbians in a story like this, as is one of the few times were lesbians are portrayed as very interesting and multidimensional characters.

The movie was premiered at the 2007 Berlinale and up-to-date is the winner of two awards at the 2007 SXSW Film Festival.

The genre is rapidly improving and the bar is absolutely raised by this movie, which is one not to miss.

Enjoy!!!

No comments yet