Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Great Debaters


Starring and directed by Denzel Washington this movie is inspired on a true story even when the screenplay writer took some liberties to increase the drama this movie is very good for the story it tells and the performances by actors.

Tells about Wiley College in the American south during the 1930s where the debate team lead by professor Melvin B. Tolson (Denzel Washington) becomes undefeated and eventually challenges Harvard University. The story is predictable but it is not a matter of what is going to happen, is a matter of how things happen and I tell you that even if I do not like debates, the Wiley-Harvard debate has some very interesting moments that when the movie ends you’ll continue thinking about them.

Since I’m dying to tell you what the debate is about I will. Is about civil disobedience and the last speech closing lines are unbelievably good they are still in my mind. No, I wont give spoilers but the lines go like this “…between violence and civil disobedience just pray that I chose the later”. Bravo!!

The three students give very good performances and Nate Parker plays Henry Lowe, Jurnee Smollett plays Samantha Booke and Denzel Whitaker plays James Farmer Jr. As Dr. James Farmer Sr. we have here no other than Forest Whitaker and he is very good here. I got so puzzled with the name of the actor that plays James Farmer Jr. that I had to find who is him, my findings tell me that he’s not Forest Whitaker son nor is related to Denzel Washington. What a name this young actor has and well, seems that he could become either of them, as he is good.

The movie is nominated for the Best Motion Picture – Drama in the 2007 Golden Globes. I do recommend this movie to adult audiences as is very good for the story it tells and the great performances by the leads.

Enjoy!

No comments yet