Sunday, October 21, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom


I am not a Wes Anderson fan as find his movies "strange", always with a "strange" cast and the kind of movie with stories that you do not really know what to think but you keep watching until the end. In this movie he has his usual "strange" cast with some of his regulars and keeps his also "strange" filmmaking style BUT this time his storytelling style was a lot more accessible for me to enjoy it, which was a huge surprise.

Think is the first Anderson film that I truly enjoy because story absolutely fits his peculiar storytelling style, his strange characters plus actors odd performances become quite entertaining and in general, watching film becomes a great ride into the two young lovers "sweet" romance. Then perhaps the most surprising for me was that film allows to feel emotions, which absolutely is not characteristic of this director. Yes, I felt emotions while watching this film, including melancholy about long gone from my life situations, when innocence prevailed.

Now I understand why 2012 Cannes opened with this very unusual film that definitively highly surpassed my expectation in my Cannes Preview plus has become the first and up-to-date ONLY Wes Anderson film that I truly like. So if you are like me that tend to dislike Anderson's films suggest to give film a try and maybe you will enjoy it.

Film tells how a small town in an island off the coast of New England in the 1960's is turned upside down while searching for a young boy and young girl that fell in love and due to their own oddness are moved to run away together. Quite a credible story which also is not characteristic of this director. But obviously is how he tells story what makes film entertaining while reflecting his peculiar filmmaking style.

Most unusual for me is to find Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Frances McDormand, Harvey Keitel and Jason Schwartzman very enjoyable as usually I do not enjoy their performances but here their very odd performances absolutely fit Anderson's style. Tilda Swinton's performance was great as always but too short for me.

Let's hope that Wes Anderson with this film found his "true call" as film definitively shows an evolved, more mature and more accessible storyteller and filmmaker; a hope that comes so he continues travelling and evolving into same or similar directions. I don't really want this to be the only Wes Anderson film I like.

Enjoy!!!

Watch trailer @MOC

No comments yet