Monday, March 08, 2010

Kathryn Bigelow


After last night Oscar milestone many of us may be wondering who Kathryn Bigelow is as a filmmaker. My first reaction was to think that I haven't seen any of her previous films and that I should. So, I checked her filmography. Surprise, have seen (a few times) two: Point Break with Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze as well as Jamie Lee Curtis Blue Steel. Well should not be a surprise but until this award season I had no idea of her existence, that her first feature film was 1982's The Loveless which was William Dafoe debut, that her film The Weight of Water (not sure but maybe I have seen it) with Sean Penn won the Golden Seashell at 2000 San Sebastian fest, and that she's older than me, lol!

From the films I have seen I'm sure that I'll never asked for the director as like many of you I watched those movies for the actors, not the director or any other tech spec and yes, they were entertaining with one that I have seen too many times in reruns and probably will watch again several times. So, for me her leap into American cinema history comes from one excellently directed film: The Hurt Locker. I'm looking forward to find how Bigelow will excel this film in the near future.

Anyway I feel like including here some trailers from her films for you to check them out and as my little homage for her great achievement.













No comments yet