Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Ja Zuster, Nee Zuster (Yes Nurse, No Nurse)


The only way I can describe this movie is that is cheerful, very goofy and cheerful musical set in the sixties and based on a Dutch TV series from the sixties. Have to admit that is very different to what I am used to see on TV or movies, but I couldn’t take my eyes from it and I even liked the silly tunes and of course I ended humming! In a way the movie looks and feels like a color version of a 50’s or 60’s TV sitcom and with all the exaggerated gestures from actors, the silly choreographies and the silly story makes it like a cult movie, very similar to some John Waters movies.

The movie tells the story of Sister Klivia that has a guesthouse, dresses always as a nurse, has four lovable nutcases tenants, a villain landlord that lives next door and other characters, all living in one street that looks exactly like a fake TV set.

The film was nominated for the Golden Bear at the 2003 Berlinale, won the Audience Award at the San Francisco International Lesbian & Gay Film Festival and has other nominations in Dutch awards.

Obviously is not for all audiences, but I feel that has a wider audience than a cult movie, as after all is a musical with catchy tunes, all sort of characters including gay characters and is so colorful and happy that those that like musicals and farces may also enjoy it. I for one had a great time watching this delirious comedy.

Enjoy!

No comments yet