Saturday, September 22, 2007

Breaking and Entering


This is the most uplifting movie and one of the most beautiful and touching adult story I have seen lately. After watching the movie I had the most fulfilling emotion and was so glad to be able to see a very smart film… for a change.

Written and directed by Anthony Minghella tells the story of three adults, each with some broken things in their lives and after a robbery at the office of one of them, they are able to repair some of the broken things. The story is set in London and shows us a London we do not get to see often, as the story happens around Kings Road.

If you follow the movies I see and what I write about them, by now you probably know that I am not a Jude Law fan. But this time I have to admit that he was outstanding and his role as architect Will Francis is not only perfect casting but also was brilliantly performed. Roles like this show that he’s a good actor, if only he will chose to do them more often.

I started with Jude Law as his performance was impressive; but this movie belongs to superb Juliette Binoche. Perfect casting, perfect role and perfect performance. Oh God, this actress is just one of the best in the world, and here she is more than outstanding, she’s perfection. But then, that Juliette Binoche can be perfect is no news for me, as I have seen her in so many movies that if I have to chose one performance… I can’t, almost all her roles have been delivered to perfection! I’m mentioning all this because it seems that some American viewers “discovered” Juliette Binoche with this role and well, I’m glad they did and just wish them to “discover” her in French movies. She plays here Amira a Bosnian refugee.

As Minghella says in an interview, the perfect complement for Juliette Binoche was American Robin Wright Penn, as they are so different, yet so complementary, that having both as leads was like “yin and yang”. Totally agree and it gives you the exact idea of what you will be able to see in the screen. Great actress by her own right, here she performs outstandingly as an American/Swedish troubled Liv.

But the tree of them, plus the smart drama and the great pace that Minghella gives to this movie, is what makes this movie extremely delightful to watch.

The movie got three 2006 BAFTA nominations for Juliette Binoche and Robing Wright Penn as Best Actress and Most Promising Newcomer for Rafi Gavron that plays Juliette’s son.

This should be a movie that all adults can see, but after reading about it I found that most Americans critics and viewers find it “boring” and “a mess” … so, I realized that it might not be for all audiences. Perhaps nowadays some have lost the taste for smart dramas extremely well performed by an incredible cast. But if you’re an adult than longs for this type of movies, I suggest you do not miss this movie.

This movie is a must be seen for those that love revered Juliette Binoche.

Enjoy!

No comments yet