Saturday, September 01, 2007

Mohabbatein (Love Stories)


In India open romance is forbidden, as is showing affect in public and this movie is about this fact. With a title like that –Love Stories- I was expecting something quite different to what I saw in this movie that is set in a all male boarding college where three students and a teacher dare to change the rules and proclaim that love is an essence of life.

Perhaps because we in the west live quite a different reality, I did not liked this story and the movie that much. Still it has beautiful cinematography, but I didn’t enjoyed the dances, music and song that much either.

Aish has a very secondary role here, even if her character is essential to the story and in the few scenes she has, she does not look the beautiful self she is. Originally, before the release of the film Aishwarya Rai was meant to be a guest appearance only and later decided to extend her role. To me her role looks exactly like that an extended character that is not developed at all.

One thing I liked, Amitabh Bachchan screen presence is truly magnificent. This is the first movie I see with him and even if I did not like the movie I am looking forward to see other movies with him.

This time I cannot recommend this movie.

No comments yet