Monday, August 20, 2007

Daphne


Nice made for TV movie about a slice of the life of Daphne du Maurier, the famous writer of Rebecca, The Birds, My Cousin Rachel and many other novels, plays and short stories. The movie tells the story of her chilly marriage, falling in love with Ellen Doubleday and her affair with Gertrude Lawrence that became her life-changing threshold.

The film evokes classic cinema and for quite a few moments I had the impression that I was seeing Hitchcock’s Rebecca, especially in the first half of the movie. In general is an elegant and engaging drama with nice music from the ‘40s and 50’s.

Now that I have seen this movie, that is based on biographies and the letters released after her dead, I feel compel to read again some of her works, as in light of the new information I have about her own unique slant on her sexuality that troubled her life and probably empowered her artistic creativity, the stories in her novels probably will be different to my eyes.

Lastly, it was nice to see Elizabeth McGovern that here plays Ellen Doubleday.

No comments yet