Saturday, June 30, 2007

Sólo Dios Sabe (Only God Knows)


I am still trying to find the Mexican movie that will change my mind about the stagnation of Mexican cinema. This movie is not the one that will change my mind.

Directed by Mexican Carlos Bolado this Brazil and Mexico production tells a story that moves from San Diego to Tijuana, to Mexico City, to Sao Paulo, to Bahia and back to Sao Paolo. It sounds quite interesting as cinematography could have been spectacular and so many places had to provide exotic locations to any story. But, no it does not happen.

Is even hard to tell you what the story is about as I have little idea … there are elements like a road romance between the main characters Damian (Diego Luna) and Dolores (Alice Braga) that ends up in a pregnancy and some tragedy, that to me it looked more like a Latin soap opera than a movie. Then they have all this religion beliefs that someone thought it could tie the narrative, but it makes no sense within what the main characters are living.

One thing I liked about the movie is the music by Julieta Venegas, which was very nice. The movie was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at 2006 Sundance Film Festival.

So I’ll keep looking for the movie that will suggest that Mexican cinema is not stalled.

If you like Latin American soaps (I don’t) then perhaps you’ll enjoy this movie.

No comments yet