Saturday, June 02, 2007

Samaria (Samaritan Girl)


After watching a long time ago the breathtaking film Bom Yeoreum Gaeul Gyeoul Guerigo Bom (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring) by Ki-duk Kim I was looking forward to see this movie that is his next after that beautiful 2003 film.

For Samaria, Ki-duk Kim was honored with the Silver Bear for Best Director and the movie was nominated for the Golden Bear. I think I understand this honor as the movie is well directed, has a slow pace that allows you to observe beyond whatever is going on with the characters and has splendid cinematography. Then I have to say that acting and special effects are not that credible.

But this time I found the story revolting. I did not like the story and this ruined the movie for me. The first two thirds of the story are not that bad, but the last third, Sonata just literally kills everything you have seen.

If you want to know what the story is about please check the idMb to read the plot summary, as even the thought of writing about it makes me feel sick

No, I do not recommend this movie; instead if you have not seen Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter… and Spring go and watch it, it is a wonderful movie by the same director.

No comments yet