Sunday, February 04, 2007

Infamous


Incredible movie about a Capote I imagined. This movie reminds me of the book that I read many, many years ago and of a Truman Capote that I knew then and followed throughout his colorful life.

There are so many things I liked about this movie that I will try to share some of them. First Capotes’ life was glamorous and this movie shows it. His reputation was to be a gossip “lover” and somehow “vicious”, this movie shows it. His most famous and celebrated book kill him as a writer; this movie shows it and gives an interesting angle to reasons behind the motive to his milestone.

In Cold Blood is a hard to read book because the assassination it covers. But is disturbing to find that you sort of like the story, basically because we all are humans and no matter what we do, there is always an emotional human being involved. This movie shows it.

To be an out-of-the-closet homosexual was outstanding in those days and being queer probably was harder. This movie shows it. One outstanding scene is when the farmer speaks to Sandra Bullock’s character and completely ignores Truman Capote.

The book kills three people, two killers and Capote and this movie shows how he is killed as a writer, but also as a human being. He seems to become more emotional and seems to show it to others. If is true or not, it is a credible consequence of “falling in love” and opening to another human being with your deepest secrets and hidden truths. This movie shows and suggests it.

Outstanding performers and outstanding performances complement a good story. I watched Capote the previous movie. I did not like it. The story bothered me and the acting bothered me. But, I love cinema and still amazes me how one same story can be told so differently.

One last thing, it might seem very intrusive that characters speak to camera. But, soon enough it makes sense the use of this resource.

It was a shame that this movie did not get more promotion and that not many people watch it. Marketing was almost non-existent.

Cheers!

No comments yet