Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Be With Me


This is just a small jewel of cinema. More than a year ago I heard about this movie and since then I wanted to watch it. Finally I did and it was a huge surprise. Guess I wanted to watch it for the wrong reasons.

This is a triad of intertwine stories about love, hope, destiny, broken hearts and loneliness, told from three different life stages. So In Love is a teenager’s story, Finding Love is a middle age story and Meant To Be is a “golden” age story.

Is a very slow film and you have to be really patient to be able to watch it, but it is worth it! For more than 30 minutes you keep wondering, what is this? Until everything starts to make sense and you “discover” what an incredible film you are watching.

One of the most interesting aspects of this movie is that it shows reality blended with fiction. It is a documentary and it is fiction. As a documentary is one of the best I have seen, as most documentaries tend to bore me with too many fail intentions to keep my attention alive.

As a film is the first time I ever watched what I could call the “Sounds of Silence”. Sometimes silence is bliss and here is brilliantly used to blissfully show us what life is truly all about.

This is an Eric Khoo movie that had great accolades at Cannes 2005 when was presented as the opening film for the Director’s Fortnight event. Also, was the Singapore submission for Foreign Language Film to the 2007 Oscar’s, but was disqualified because it had too much English! I just wonder if they timed the silence, they would find that it has more silence than any other language, including sign language… and silence really is a foreign language in Hollywood!!!

Not for all audiences or tastes, but one not to miss, if you truly enjoy art cinema.

No comments yet