Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Last 2011 Oscar Predictions Final


For the first time ever will try to predict winners in all categories, surely my record of good predictions will not be the same as before when predicted only main categories. Still will be fun to find out how do I do.

My crystal ball says the following...

Best Film
Will Win: The King’s Speech
Should Win: The King’s Speech
My Oscar goes to: Black Swan

Animated Feature Film
Will Win: Toy Story 3
Should Win: The Illusionist (has better animation)
My Oscar goes to: None.

Foreign Language Film
This category is NOT easy for me as haven’t seen three movies that of course I’m “dying” to watch.
Will Win: Hævnen (In a Better World), Susanne Bier, Denmark (an educated guess)
Should Win: Incendies, Denis Villeneuve, Canada (this is the other film with much buzz)
My Oscar goes to: Not to the two I have seen.

Best Director
Will Win: Tom Hooper for The King’s Speech
Should Win: Tom Hooper for The King’s Speech
My Oscar goes to: Darren Aronofsy for amazing Black Swan

Best Actress:
Will Win: Natalie Portman in Black Swan
Should Win: Natalie Portman
My Oscar goes to: Natalie Portman

Best Supporting Actress
Will Win: Melissa Leo in The Fighter (IF she wins will be more for her performance in Frozen River)
Should Win: Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit
My Oscar goes to: Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit

Best Actor
Will Win: Colin Firth in The King’s Speech
Should Win: Colin Firth
My Oscar goes to: Colin Firth (for his later body of work and especially for his amazing performance in A Single Man! – he was robbed last year… he, he)

Best Supporting Actor
Will Win: Christian Bale in The Fighter
Should Win: Geoffrey Rush in The King’s Speech
My Oscar goes to: Geoffrey Rush in The King's Speech (marvelous performance!)

Cinematography
Will Win: Roger Deakins for True Grit (more buzz than any other)
Should Win: Matthew Libatique for Black Swan
My Oscar goes to: Matthew Libatique for Black Swan (I’m very visual and from nominated this film have awesome non-special-effects visuals)

Writing – Adapted Screenplay
Will Win: Aaron Sorkin for The Social Nework
Should Win: Aaron Sorkin
My Oscar goes to: Aaron Sorkin

Writing – Original Screenplay
Will Win: David Seidler for The King’s Speech
Should Win: David Seidler
My Oscar goes to: David Seidler

Visual Effects
Will Win: Inception
Should Win: Inception
My Oscar goes to: Inception

Film Editing
Will Win: Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter for The Social Network
Should Win: The Social Network (in my opinion has the best editing of all nominated)
My Oscar goes to: Andrew Weisblum for Black Swan (but this film has the most “emotions-generator” editing of all nominated)

Art Direction
Will Win: The King’s Speech
Should Win: Alice in Wonderland
My Oscar goes to: The King’s Speech (most traditional yet interesting)

Costume Design
Will Win: The King’s Speech (classical period costumes)
Should Win: Alice in Wonderland (great costumes)
My Oscar goes to: True Grit (for each and every Hailee Steinfeld’s fashion statement costumes)

Makeup
Problems here as have seen only one movie.
Will Win: The Wolfman
Should Win: No idea
My Oscar goes to: None of the nominated, but of course goes to Black Swan!

Sound Editing
Will Win: Richard King for Inception
Should Win: Richard King
My Oscar goes to: Richard King

Sound Mixing
Will Win: Inception
Should Win: True Grit
My Oscar goes to: Inception

Music Original Score
Will Win: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for The Social Network
Should Win: Alexandre Desplat for The King’s Speech
My Oscar goes to: None of the nominated called my attention. But of course goes to Black Swan!

Music Original Song
Will Win: We Belong Together from Toy Story 3
Should Win: None of the nominated.
My Oscar goes to: None of the nominated. Of course goes to You Haven’t Seen The Last of Me from Burlesque

Documentary Feature
Will Win: Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs for Inside Job
Should Win: Lucy Walker and Angus Aynsley for Waste Land
My Oscar goes to: Banksy and Jaimie d’Cruz for Exit through the Gift Shop (really hope wins, but is too controversial to win)

Documentary Short Subject
Will Win: Sara Neeson for Poster Girl
Should Win: Jennifer Redfearm and Tim Metzger for Sun Come Up (stunning visuals)
My Oscar goes to: Sara Neeson for Poster Girl (powerful and emotional)

Short Film Animated
Will Win: Teddy Newton for Day & Night (early and continuous positive buzz, also is Pixar animation)
Should Win: Jakob Schuh and Max Lang for The Gruffalo (classical detail attention animation with great story)
My Oscar goes to: Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann for The Lost Thing (Awesome!!!)

Short Film – Action
Will Win: Ian Barnes and Samantha Waite for Wish 143 (emotional melodrama with much buzz)
Should Win: No idea.
My Oscar goes to: Luke Matheny for God of Love (not for all tastes but definitively for mine!)

I have a huge problem with my predictions as can’t forget that True Grit got 10 nominations which made it the number 2 film after The King’s Speech; but to be honest besides great directing, good screenplay and excellent Hailee Steinfeld performance film was ‘normal’ for me and in those categories favorites are also my favorites, so I really hope that Hailee wins so film will get at least two Oscars.

As we know the awards with a few exceptions have become less predictable than what we could imagine especially after the HUGE difference between critics/press and academics awards. But still the race is between two films: The King’s Speech and The Social Network. You know that I liked more TKS than TSN, so don’t doubt that my predictions are influenced by what I like better even when I’m trying to guess what Academy voting members may do.

But the REAL winners are WE, show viewers, as we will celebrate when our favorites win and will be appalled if they don’t win; which means that we probably will have a good time watching the announcements besides hoping than in-between winners announcements show is entertaining. Can’t deny that my biggest concern is that show has been transformed to hopefully attract younger viewers and IF The Social Network–a favorite of many, especially younger audiences- doesn’t win then many will be hugely disappointed and surely will transfer it to show. So let’s hope that PricewaterhouseCoopers professionally does their work and may the BEST film win.

No comments yet