Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Oscar’s Very Early Predictions


A few days back a friend asked me for my predictions for nominees in the main categories. Wasn’t until that moment that I noticed that I haven’t seen many American movies that I can consider for a nomination; obviously there are a few exceptions and you’ll notice when I mention them below. So, here are my guesses for the time being and for sure in the coming weeks many Oscar contenders will be released to qualify.

Best Movie

Haven’t seen any that I would nominate; but probably with 10 spots Inglourious Basterds will get one. From the ones I haven’t seen and have Oscar’s buzz we have: Avatar (the most expensive movie ever), Nine (dying to see it), Clint Eastwood’s Invictus (must be seen for me), Peter Jackson’s The Lovely Bones (read the book have to see the movie), Coen Brothers’ A Serious Man, and Lone Scherfig’s An Education.

Best Director

Ditto as above with maybe Quentin Tarantino getting an honor. But this category has some almost sure possibilities like Lee Daniel’s for Precious (even if the movie won’t make it, the director will). I won’t guess more as I have to watch the movies to guess directors.

Best Actress

Meryl Streep has to add another nomination as the perfect Julia Child. Too much buzz for Penelope Cruz in Almodovar’s Broken Embrances, but more important for Nine. Looking forward to watch Jane Campion’s Bright Star and see Abbie Cornish performance that many say should get a nomination; ditto for Carey Mulligan in An Education.

Best Actor

No, haven’t seen the movie but Colin Firth in A Single Man is the loudest buzz around. I would definitively nominate Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds. Have to see the movie but Morgan Freeman playing Nelson Mandela in a film directed by Clint Eastwood means high probabilities.

Best Supporting Actress

No idea yet.

Best Supporting Actor

I can’t believe someone dare to put Christoph Waltz in this category, but if it happens for sure he will get the Oscar.

Special Effects: almost sure 2012 will get nominated.

I know is too early to guess right and that many films will be released in the coming weeks so after watching them I’ll dare to guess more predictions.

Do you have any predictions? Please share with us.

No comments yet