Saturday, November 21, 2009

Inglourious Basterds


A friend of mine told me that wanted to see the latest Brad Pitt movie and after using my memory archive I said: " you better think twice because that’s not Pitt’s movie; is a Quentin Tarantino’s movie. You know, the one with the Kill Bill series that you didn’t like". Oh boy! You have no idea how right I was as this is not Pitt’s best performance and this is 100% Tarantino at its best playing around with cinema styles, old music scores, some smarty dialogue, violence, WWII, and a very amusing fictional story around the last days of Hitler.

Since I saw all the celebrity marketing for Pitt and so little for other actors or even the director, I was concerned about watching the movie as for me he’s more a celebrity than an actor; thus I delayed seeing as they were making too much noise for Pitt. Please do not do as me, this is a must be seen movie even if you haven’t much enjoyed Tarantino’s films before. Why? Long answer, but let’s try to make it short.

For starters this is not your typical American war (or not war) movie, this feels and looks absolutely European cinema! There is one exception for me, the segment where we meet Brad Pitt character. Then you can’t miss the incredibly outstanding performance by Christoph Waltz! Some have been saying that he has the best role and I don’t agree. Is his excellent performance what makes his Col. Hans Landa eye-catching since the very first segment where you will be exposed to excellent conversation with Perrier LaPadite (Denis Menochet). In this first segment (from five) I couldn’t take my eyes from the screen and my ears were having a true delight. What a performance! As many will recall he won the Best Actor award at 2009 Cannes and even if is not likely, he should get a nomination for the Oscar. Yes, that’s how good Waltz performance is in this segment and the entire film.

Also with an outstanding performance is Mélanie Laurent and to me it was obvious that Tarantino gave her the most spectacular scenes that totally showcased her beauty. The rest of the cast gave very good performances especially Michael Fassbender, Diane Kruger and Daniel Brühl. See, the best performers are European and most speak their original language and easily -and very credibly in the story- switch to English. I like this as to me reflects real life in Europe.

Enough about actors. Production values are excellent with good indoor and outdoor cinematography and some arresting scenes like the one in the end, the amazing forest where someone surrenders to Brad Pitt character. I imagine that Tarantino had lots of fun writing this script and more (good) crazy fun directing this film. You can tell as the film is impeccable and for 153 minutes you will ride his oeuvre that in many moments it feels like a “war western” and is done on purpose as he says the film is a spaghetti western that just happens to be in WWII. Gosh, you have no idea how good and entertaining the film is.

The story. Not easy to describe but starts with a young Jewish woman Shosanna (Laurent) escaping from Col. Landa (Waltz); next we meet the Basterds, a group of very violent men under Lt. Aldo Raine (Pitt) command whose only purpose is to kill Nazis and collect their scalps. Shosanna is older, living in Paris and has a movie theater, Pvt Fredrick Zoller (Daniel Bruhl) is a movie buff that falls for her and decides to help her by switching a movie premiere to her theater. What follows is how the British (Fassbender) with the help of the Basterds plus a German actress (Diane Kruger) plan to blow the theater while Shosanna plans her revenge. The grandiose final act shows the most crazy-good movie premiere.

I liked a lot the movie but I know that those that want to see it because Pitt or because is a war movie will be totally disappointed. This is an excellent Tarantino crazy-good film with many references to other movies and if you really enjoy and know your cinema, you will immediately get them.

Another good movie from Cannes that’s more mainstream than what the fest usually showcases and if producers didn’t marketed as a Pitt film, viewers will probably enjoy it a lot more.

Me, I had lots of fun watching this crazy-good film, when was over I wanted MORE and strongly recommend it to those that like Tarantino.

Big Enjoy!!!

Watch trailer @ Movie On Companion

No comments yet