Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Secret Life of Bees


Based on the popular novel of the same by Sue Monk Kidd and directed/written by Gina Prince-Bythewood, the film is a sweet story and movie that surely will warm the hearts of many, but I find the story too sugary for my taste and well if it wasn’t for some extraordinary performances and the most beautiful cinematography, I probably will have called this movie only “nice” to watch.

But I was highly impressed by Sophie Okonedo performance playing a complex character with such an exquisite touch that totally grabbed my attention while she was on screen and made me wish she could have had longer screen time. Second have to admit that I enjoyed most of Dakota Fanning performance as with a few exceptions this child actor shows that she’s no longer a child and clearly demonstrates that as she grows and gets more interesting roles she’s an actress with a great future. I didn’t enjoy much Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson, and Alicia Keys performances, but I believe that it was due to the one-dimensional not well-developed characters, rather than only the way they performed.

Still I know that this is sort of a “girly” movie that will please and touch many women allover the world. The movie has five awards and 16 nominations, including Dakota Fanning winning the Rising Star Award at 2009 Palm Springs fest and Sophie Okonedo honored with a nomination at the Satellite Awards.

Not a masterpiece but an entertaining movie if you want to warm your heart and if you want to learn the story of a 4 years old girl that kills her mother and as she reaches her 14 years old birthday decides to find what really happened that day when her mother came back home after having left for good.

Enjoy.

No comments yet