Thursday, January 22, 2009

Doubt


I wasn’t prepared for this outstanding movie that I thought was “another” movie about a child molester priest. From the beginning up to perhaps two thirds of the movie I was still believing that what the trailers showed was exactly what this movie was about and if it wasn’t for the incredible good performance by Meryl Streep I probably wouldn’t watched much more. How wrong I was!!!

As soon as Sister Aloysius (Meryl Streep) starts to walk with Mrs. Miller (Viola Davis) and the most amazing unexpected dialogue starts I was shocked and to use the movie title I started to doubt absolutely everything I have seen up to this moment and if you have seen the movie you’ll understand that from that point on everything becomes doubtful. Amazing! I spent quite a lot of time reading viewers comments about “what really happened in this movie” and if you browse the net you’ll find many explanations about what each individual saw in the story. This is truly amazing!

I wish I could share what I saw in this movie, but surely will spoil the unbelievable good twist in this amazing story that’s based on Pulitzer Prize winner drama by John Patrick Shanley, Doubt: A Parable, who also wrote the screenplay and directed the movie. I suppose I’m one of the lucky ones that haven’t seen the play, as most that have seen it claim that the play is better. But I did read about the play as I needed to dissipate my doubts, but obviously the play also does not give any answers to your doubts. In my readings I found that none other than Roman Polanski directed the play in Paris and that was bad news as make me feel like wanting to watch the play … in Paris!

Anyway, this is one movie that does not come out very often as has an excellent story that totally plays with viewers, excellent performances by Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams and Viola Davis (who is in the screen for about 12 minutes, but honestly are the best 12 minutes in the entire movie!), great pace, good production values and tech specs which makes it a very complete cinematic experience.

Up-to-date the movie has many nominations and has won 6 awards, most for Viola Davis and Meryl Streep, but also for the Ensemble Cast; now I really do not understand why Streep or Davis didn’t won a Golden Globe, but probably was because many compare the movie to the play. As of this moment I’m sure that both will be nominated for an Academy Award and I just have to wait a few hours to learn if I’m right.

Absolutely a must be seen for those that enjoy complex, dialogue oriented, intense, intelligent and smart dramas with outstanding performances. Me, I will wait until my friends see the movie to have a brainy discussion about this story, as I totally believe what they wrote about the play: the play is in two acts, one lasts 90 minutes in the theater; the second act starts when people leave the theater!

Enjoy!!!

No comments yet