Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Wrestler


Absolutely one movie that you have to skip if you do not enjoy wrestling as it’s totally disgusting to watch what wrestlers can do. I suppose is a great performance by Mickey Rourke as I was able to watch until the end even when I did close my eyes more than once and very often.

He looks amazing for a 57-years-old actor but I couldn’t appreciate the drama because of the awful wrestling; still the story is about a man that all his life has been only about wrestling and after a heart attack he tries unsuccessfully to go back and connect with real people like his lesbian daughter (Evan Rachel Wood) and a stripper (Marisa Tomei).

As you all know Mickey Rourke has been collecting honors since the movie was premiered in the 2008 Venice Film Festival were the movie won the Golden Lion for Best Picture. Among the honors we have Rourke nominated for Best Actor at the Golden Globes, The Critics Choice Awards, the SAG awards and I would not be surprised if he gets an Oscar nomination.

I’m almost positive that besides those that enjoy wrestling, this movie is totally targeted to men, so if you do not fit any of the above, I suggest you stay away from the movie unless you really want to see Mickey Rourke performance.

Enjoy.

No comments yet